This post may contain affiliate links. See our affiliate disclaimer here.
When was the last time you took a moment to audit your life? To think about the decisions you’re making every day and if they are benefitting you?
After a few weeks of going all-in on full-time travel, Cyrus had an internal crisis. He wasn’t working, he wasn’t making money, and he was spending his days traveling aggressively. Something was off.
What Cyrus learned was something that I’ve confronted myself in the past year. When you put your identity in one thing—your job or being a full-time RVer, for example—you end up feeling lost when that thing ends. And all of a sudden you have to figure out who you really are and what you really want in life.
This year my goal for 2019 was to find clarity. It’s something that made my 2018 difficult because I didn’t feel like I had a clear direction and I wasn’t sure which way I wanted to go (i.e. should I keep traveling full-time running a start up or should I try to build a massive multi-million dollar software company?).
This podcast episode is a little different than most. Instead of interviewing someone currently RVing, Cyrus is back in a sticks-and-bricks after traveling for a year. I wanted to bring him on the show to hear more about how this year influenced his life and decisions moving forward and to hear how he views this time looking back.
We dig into a lot in this episode and I think this interview will really resonate with anyone who is going through a life transition or if you’re feeling lost or if you’re unsure about what it is you want to do and be in life. Cyrus himself was going through some of those same feelings during his time on the road and really lays out how he worked through it. Plus, we dive into a few tactical things as well for how Cyrus found success making money on the road using Upwork.
What else we talk about in this episode:
- Making the conscious decision to stop consuming
- How Cyrus has audited his days to better understand what things give him life and what things he doesn’t enjoy
- What made Cyrus and his wife Amelia want to hit the road
- The downsizing process to see if they could handle RV life
- The two reasons why Cyrus thinks he struggled so much taking time off of work
- The 10 goals Cyrus and Amelia set for themselves after attending the RV Entrepreneur Summit
- Why their year on the road felt like a blur
- Cyrus’ perfect work-life balance
- Making decisions from an abundance mindset
- Cyrus’ process for getting set up with Upwork (see the podcast interview he mentions with Abigail here)
- How Cyrus cut his rates to land his first client and get a priceless review
- The strategic thinking behind choosing your clients
Links mentioned in this episode:
A challenge for you…
After listening to this podcast episode, I challenge you to what Cyrus said in the beginning. Take 15 minutes to sit in silence. No phone, no TV, no computer. Just 15 minutes to recalibrate and refresh and give your brain a break.