This post may contain affiliate links. See our affiliate disclaimer here.
Abby Holcombe is easily one of the most impressive people I know—and she’s only 15.
Abby recently won 4th place at the World Championships for Freestyle Kayaking, she is the youngest person to ever kayak the Grand Canyon, and she’s been RVing full-time since she was 10 years old. You may remember Abby if you watched the videos from our 2018 RVE Summit where Abby opened our conference sharing her story of what it was like kayaking the entire Grand Canyon—at only 12 years old.
Together with her parents, the Holcombe’s spend over 300 days a year on the water doing what they love—kayaking.
RV Entrepreneur Summit
This episode is brought to you by our annual RV Entrepreneur Summit. The RVE Summit is our business conference for RVers—a four-day event designed to bring together anyone who is running or wants to run a business while traveling. You can learn more about the RV Entrepreneur Summit here!
I wanted to bring Abby on the show to hear more of her story and everything she’s accomplished because her parents decided to uproot their life in Colorado in favor of life on the road. Deciding to move into an RV with your family can be a stressful decision, but the Holcombe’s have used RVing to live their ideal every day. Which right now means they are RVing in their Winnebago in Norway. Norway!
Photo credit: Peter Holcombe
This episode has me inspired and excited to fly to Italy next month and start traveling with Ellie. Hey maybe in 15 years I’ll be watching her compete at Worlds!
What we talk about in this episode:
- Abby’s reaction when her parents decided to move into an RV
- How Abby handles making friends on the road
- What it was like kayaking the Grand Canyon the first time
- Abby’s experience competing at Worlds
- What it’s like RVing Europe
- How Abby has found unschooling to be a better option than homeschooling
- Abby’s speaking career and her plans for the future
- Being a sponsored athlete and finding ways to fund her trip to Worlds
Links mentioned in this episode:
- Heroic Public Speaking
- Jason and Rose’s company, Better for Your
- Watch Abby’s main stage talk at our 2018 RV Entrepreneur Summit
You can follow Abby on Instagram at @adventurous.miss